Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Blast Spotlight: Sean J.



Check out this exclusive interview with Hawaiian born emcee Sean J. of the Civil Mics Movement!  In this interview Sean J. discusses his latest single "It's Nothing" featuring Young Money's Jae Millz, the future of hip hop, working with Rev. Run, and giving fans a first hand look into the mind of one of hip hop's rising lyricists Sean J.


The Giant Blast: How would you describe yourself as an artist?
Sean J:  I would say that I'm honest and a reflection of my experiences. Everything in my music from the concepts, punchlines, feel, delivery, etc... are all influenced by what I lived.  From me doing tours, to night club promoting, to handling business with other things... its all there.
The Giant Blast:  What does Sean J. get into besides music? 
Sean J:  I love living the non-rapping life (laughs). Yes, I take music very serious; but at the same time, I like to do normal things.  I ain't the type to just be jumping into ciphers and stuff like that, so you can catch me kicking back, watching whatever NBA game... while sipping on something.
The Giant Blast:  Getting back to the music, what types of beats bring out the best in Sean J.?
 Sean J:  Heavy soul sampled beats always gets to me.  Give me one with the right sample, chops, and drum patterns; and I will black out.
The Giant Blast:  You have a song with Young Money recording artist Jae Millz, for those that haven't heard the song yet, how would you describe the track with you and Jae Millz? 
Sean J:  Well, we originally did the song 4 years ago for my last album, Back To Square One.  It was a very cliche rap song... basically talking about getting money and spending it like "Its Nothin'" (the title of the track). The song never really popped off as it should, so I decided to redo it with a whole new beat, feel, and new verse from me. This version is a combination of my old style (cocky, flashy) with the new me (depth, content). When I first heard the beat from my producer Soy, I knew it was the one.
The Giant Blast:  Who else have you worked with? 
Sean J:  Nothing too major... Though, I have a track with Rev Run over the "Jesus Walks" beat which came out like 6 years ago.  We knew someone that had a unreleased verse from him and he blessed us with it.
The Giant Blast:  Who would you like to work with in the future? 
Sean J:  Anyone who is truly into the artistry of music.
The Giant Blast:  What projects are you working on right now? 
Sean J:  Right now, I'm mentally gearing myself for my next album, A Man of Means. That won't be dropping for awhile, so I'm definitely taking my time.  In between that, I'll be dropping several random EPs and mixtapes... one being me rapping over the beats from Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album.  Also, preparing for a duo project with one of my producers, Soy. We formed a group called F.T.G. (Flip Them Guys). The chemistry always been good with us... it was only right to make it official.
The Giant Blast:  Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 
Sean J:  I want to be to the point where I'm constantly touring or doing shows, especially internationally.  I just got to remain consistent and be patient.
The Giant Blast:  Where do you see hip hop in 5 years? 
Sean J:  Very good question. Right now, there's a lot of good music coming out compared to the years that pass.  Hopefully, that will continue.
The Giant Blast:  Is there anything else you would like to plug? 
Sean J:  Definitely! Right now, I have free-album available for download called A Tree By Itself.  What Blueprint was to Jay Z is what this album is to me.  I tried to make sure that everything from the lyrics to the beats to the mixing to the artwork... everything... was aiming to the direction I wanted.  You can get that album and find out the latest from me at http://SEANJisSOMEAN.com . Also, follow me on twitter for the play by play: @SEANJisSOMEAN (http://twitter.com/SEANJisSOMEAN).


Sean J. Links
For more information on The Giant Blast e-mail us at TheGiantBlast@aol.com
  

No comments: