Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Blast DJ Spotlight: Coach Roebuck

Check out The Giant Blast featured DJ, Coach RoebuckCoach Roebuck is a long time member of our digital record pool, and for all Roebuck's hard work with supporting our Blast featured artists and spinning the music we blast out from our record pool , as well as reviewing different music from our pool, we honor Coach Roebuck by dedicating a section of our Blast Blog to him.

The Giant Blast:  Why do you call yourself "Coach" instead of "DJ" Roebuck?
Coach Roebuck:  I coached an AAU summer track program in Charleston, WV for three years. When I decided to get into music, I needed a name that stood out. There are simply too many DJs who can't work their systems. They think that because they have Serato Live and they can push a few buttons that they can DJ. Meanwhile, it is not uncommon for me to experience mad technical difficulties and still rock a party, like I recently did in Arkansas. Hence, the name Coach Roebuck.
The Giant Blast:  How long have you been spinning?
Coach Roebuck:  I didn't start spinning seriously until 2004. I can't believe it's been that long already.
The Giant Blast:  What influenced you to become a DJ?
Coach Roebuck:  I never thought I'd get involved. I thought I'd be in sports until an injury squashed those dreams, I soon turned to developing music software, but I wasn't able to gain support. While experimenting existing music software, I developed a new hobby in music production. I was remixing 80s music for my own enjoyment. As a way to get my music heard, I decided to become a DJ.

A few key events triggered the beginning of my career as a DJ. I was at a low point in my life, which undoubtedly will make anyone make some drastic changes in their lives. I started educating myself on expectations and anticipations of the music business. Along the way, I encountered a community full of positive and inspiring people. I even came up with a project plan to jump start a music career as a semester assignment in my project management class during grad school. The model apparently, and shamelessly, has seen success.




The Giant Blast: What do you spin?
Coach Roebuck:  My preference is underground dance music. My sound is often filtered disco, sampling a lot of 70s music. I occasionally play hard-style techno, too.
The Giant Blast:  Where do you spin?
Coach Roebuck:  I've been keeping myself busy playing at just about every underground party thrown out here in the Midwest. I'm currently making plans to take my party back to the East Coast.
The Giant Blast:  Could you explain "Ghettotech" for the readers? Coach Roebuck:  Ghettotech is derived from Booty Bass music and originated from Detroit. It's heavily influenced by Hip-Hop & techno. It often consists of a 4x4 beat, is played twice the speed of Hip Hop, and is very bass heavy. It's different from Miami Bass in that it's more fresh & straight-up dirty. You won't find any cookie-cutting garbage in this genre. To further dig into the music, I recommend checking out DJ Funk, DJ Assault, DJ Nasty, Disco D & DJ Godfather. They're recognized as the forerunners of Ghettotech.
The Giant Blast:  How would you describe the style of music that you produce?
Coach Roebuck:  In general, my rule of thumb is "If it doesn't apply, let it fly." The production is heavily influenced by house & techno, consists of advanced beats, heavy bass melodies, and filter effects. My style in production is almost as similar as I would DJ.
The Giant Blast:  What software do you use to construct your remixes?
Coach Roebuck:  I swear by Propellerhead Reason. I've been using it since 2006. It's the ultimate sampling tool. As an added bonus, you can use it as a plugin to use in more superior software such as Ableton, Pro Tools, and Cubase.
The Giant Blast:  What are some of the highlights you've experienced in your career as a DJ?
Coach Roebuck:  Two years into being a DJ, I played a party in Switzerland. The buzz generated on the East Coast had apparently reached the Swiss Mountains. The way people embrace music overseas is unparalleled.
I've noticed the amount of releases and remixes significantly increased last year. This year's going to be even better. Good times lie ahead for the Coach in the world of production.
The Giant Blast:  What were some of the worst experiences you've had as a DJ and how did you learn from it? 
Coach Roebuck:  I caught Hell in my hometown promoting underground dance music. The community was very apathetic and unresponsive for a long time, and I had a serious hater's club among the locals artists and bands. It's terribly difficult to push any alternative music in most small towns throughout America. But it made for an excellent exercise.
Slowly I began make a name for myself and earn respect. The best decision I ever made was to travel all over the East Coast to meet like-minded people with similar passions for music, and to my surprise, facing similar obstacles in their respective cities. Being conveniently centralized on the East Coast during that time was very beneficial. In a very short time, I found myself playing in parties from DC & Baltimore to Chicago
, courtesy of different DJ crews and promoters.

All it took when I finished my travels was throwing one party with some well-known talent. In one night, all the critics shut their mouths. It was a good feeling and a good sense of accomplishment.
 
The Giant Blast:  What advice would you give aspiring DJs?
Coach Roebuck:  You better DJ because you love it first and watch your ego or you won't last.
I cannot stress this enough. The saying that "Pride seems to come before a man's downfall" can't be more true. I've seen well-known people crash and burn really hard before my eyes. The music industry is cold as Hell. Audiences can be unbelievable and unpredictable. If your name or your choice of music is unknown, it's going to take a lot of patience and perseverance to get ahead. I have become a much happier person and more creative today due to my love of music and remaining a very kind and humble person.

The Giant Blast:  Is there anything you would like to plug or shout out?
Coach Roebuck:  The Coach would like to give a shout-out to all the music lovers who keeps it real and took the time to read this.
A quick shout-out to the Giant Blast Crew for being gracious enough to interview the Coach. Peace, love & Happiness! 
I also wanna give a shout-out to Porscha Parker out in LA taking over the city. Drop a line some time and let the Coach know you're breathing air. Much luv!



For more information e-mail us for TheGiantBlast@aol.com

No comments: