Monday, May 24, 2010

The Blast Spotlight: L.E.G.A.C.Y.

Check out the blast featured artist of the week!  L.E.G.A.C.Y. of The Justus LeagueIf you missed our blast one on one exclusive interview with L.E.G.A.C.Y. (from March) then you can read the entire interview here at this link
http://theblastblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/blast-spotlight-legacy.html

This week to shine more light on L.E.G.A.C.Y.'s digital exclusive titled "Reckless", we sit down with the producer of the song, North Carolina based beat maker J-Coleman for a blast one on one exclusive interview!


The Giant Blast:  How would you describe the type of music that you produce?
J-Coleman:  Different.  I like to sample different kinds of records, chop them up and rearrange them so that I make it my own. 


The Giant Blast:  Who are some of your influences as a beatmaker?
J-Coleman:  DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Kanye, Pharrell, RJD2, RZA, Timbaland, 9th Wonder the list goes on and on.  I mostly get inspired listening to beats by those old golden age boom bap beatmakers. 

The Giant Blast:  What would you say is the difference between a beatmaker and a producer, and which one do you feel that you are?
J-Coleman:  In my opinion, a producer is someone that does more than just manipulate sound, a producer composes something a little deeper than that, and doesn't just have an artist perform over the track, but actually sits down with the artist and has a vision for a song and executes it as a team.  The producer in my opinion is like a director and the vocalist is like the actor, and
the beat is like a movie scene.  A beat maker is just someone who makes the beat, sends it to the artist and they go their separate ways, leaving the artist free reign to do whatever they want with very little input from the actual beatmaker.  By the definitions I just gave, I'm more of a beatmaker than a producer, unfortunately, not by choice but by circumstances.  If the artists and I had more time between us, or if there weren't so many other factors involved I would love to get the chance to sit down with an artist and just work on something together as apposed to them picking out beats and we move it along.  I'm working with an artist by the name of Chanell Ketchmore, and although we still don't have enough spare time between us to sit down and go back and forth over the direction of a track, right now she is the only artist that I have been able to put some kind of creative stamp on the final outcome of the songs and that's great.  Maybe in the future I will get more opportunities like this, to sit down and mold a song with an artist, but so far it's just been the artist getting whatever beat, and we do what we can with whatever allotted time we have.   

The Giant Blast:  You recently composed the track "Reckless" for Justus League member L.E.G.A.C.Y., what was it like working with him?
J-Coleman:  L.E.G.A.C.Y. is great... I'm glad he blessed the track the way he did.  I didn't want to make the typical soul sample track for L.E.G., he talks about how he's not just a rapper but a "rock star", so I was inspired to create a rock style beat for him to rock to.  With electric guitars and live sounding drums.  He murders the beat!   

The Giant Blast:  Who else have you worked with?
J-Coleman:  I've made plenty of beats for independent and underground recording artists over these past couple of years.  I've worked with Lubuck, TX based recording artist Slate Stone.  I did 3 beats on G.'s most recent album American Scholar.  Sug, The One Kemist, Sham Grammar, Stoncity, Reina Williams, R&B singer Dean Thomas, I did the single "So Insecure" for Lady Mae.... um... I've worked with Black Diamond, Yatta AKA Da Kaptain of Race City Records, Concreet, LSP who was featured in The Blaze Battle on HBO years ago (the one that Shellz won and we never heard from again) and the list goes on and on.  You can check out my full discography so far at http://www.jcolemanbeats.blogspot.com

The Giant Blast:  Who would you like to work with in the future?
J-Coleman:  Anybody really.... any artist that I'm feeling and that I feel I can gel with and make some magic with, I'm down to do it.  Instead of rambling and running off a list of A list artists I fantasize about getting in the studio with like most people do when they are asked this question (and hopefully one day I myself would get to work with those A list people as well), but for a more tangible "this could happen sooner than later" type of answer, I'd say Stitchy C. (Ed E. Ruger's boy), D.R. Universal of No Question Entertainment, Random AKA Mega Ran of R.A.H.M. Nation, D Fitz, some of those other guys, fill in the blank of another artist here and/or all or anybody from Civil Mics Movement, shout out to Twist!  That's just a short list of some talented artists that I'd throw some heat to in a minute!

The Giant Blast:  Speaking of the future, where do you see yourself as a beatmaker in 5 years?
J-Coleman: Still making the type of music that I love, but only with a longer resume than I have now.
The Giant Blast:  While we are on the topic of the future, what projects or records do you have lined up or preparing to release next?
J-Coleman:   Like I said earlier Chanell Ketchmore and I are working on an EP.  I also plan on releasing some theme based instrumental projects, starting with The Voiceless EP.  I have some other projects up my sleeve too.  I'd like to do another compilation project too, and this time one where I carefully select different artists for a specific theme instead of just compiling a bunch of random left over joints and putting it all on one thing like I did with The Economic Stimulus Project.

The Giant Blast:  Where can artists that maybe interested in your work listen to your beats?
J-Coleman:  They can check out these links http://www.youtube.com/jcolemanbeats, http://www.soundclick.com/jcolemanbeats, and http://www.myspace.com/jcoleman, but that's not all I have.  I have a library of hundreds of beats that aren't even posted online.

The Giant Blast:  Is there anything else you would like to plug?
J-Coleman:  You should mos def check out my official beat blog at http://www.jcolemanbeats.blogspot.com and also follow me on twitter too and http://www.twitter.com/jcolemanbeats, I ain't talkin' about shit on there, but then again who does.... that's what it's used for.  Also a special thank you shout out to The Giant  Blast!





FOR FOR INFORMATION E-MAIL THEGIANTBLAST@AOL.COM

No comments: