Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Courtney's Fitness Corner: The Introduction (Confessions of a New Body)


Confessions of a new body.  When I started my quest to get fit I was hovering around 200 lbs but because I ‘carried it well’ I was telling friends and family that I was somewhere around 170 and wearing size 10’s. In fact I was mostly size 12. Ethnic women are blessed. We have these awesome shapes and curves that can easily be shifted and accentuated so I pulled it off, or so I thought. Leave it to someone who pulls no punches to steer me right though. When I was gearing up to release my debut novel, Be Without You, I decided I wanted to be the diva that I was writing about. Fit, passionate and stylish. I sat down with renowned author Omar Tyree to discuss my ambitions but was instead put off by how astonished he was by my eating ability. I was embarrassed as he told the waiter that he didn’t get a chance to taste the mussels Josephine because I’d eaten them all. And he wasn’t lying. Sure when you lose weight you should ultimately do it for yourself but that look of disbelief that a 5’2 girl would put away two appetizers solo was the kick in the pants I needed. When I started my journey I was a size 12, I am now fitting toddler ages (not sizes)2-4. I revel at the small dresses that hug every dangerous curve. I love the look of slim jeans and stilettos even more. The more you lose, the more you’ll love it.  Make a decision and throw some deuces up to the pounds.

For more tips visit me at facebook.com/Courtney missurbanamerica or twitter.com/fitchiccourtney

No comments: