Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ike Ellis Interview (Ike Ellis talks Cornbread, his new single "Loving You", his past, future and more!)

The Giant BlastIs Ike Ellis your birth name or a stage name?  If it's a stage name why did you decide to go with Ike Ellis?
Ike Ellis:  IKE ELLIS is my stage name. The name IKE been my nick name since I was little boy.  I didn't want to deviate from who i really am, but I did not want the world to know the entire aspect of my personal life, until later. The Ellis came from young guy I use to mentor whose name was "Mike Ellis". I heard his name called over the intercom time and time again and in my mind it had a great ring to it.  So I drop the "M" and IKE ELLIS was born. The rap name before IKE ELLIS was Slick P, Mr. L I, which was plain, or wack in my opinion, nor did it embody my music, or persona at all. SO IKE ELLIS was created.
 Where are you located?
I’m located in the great state of North Carolina.  I live in the 919 area code region, but I am from the 910 area. The county is Pender County; the neighborhood is Wood Side North Carolina.

What inspired you to rap?
A couple things inspired me to rap lines. First, in 1995 a Lost Boys concert, made me want to perform in front of people.  2Pac displayed a way for me to think outside of the normal hip hop, using the message in the music to inspire the people.  Third I love music; it used to help me go to sleep at night.  Last, I get a thrill when people tell me what I can't do, and I prove them otherwise.  With the rap game it's always somebody who says what can't be done.

Who were some of your influences growing up?
My mom was my number 1 influence; my two uncles also were highly inspiration and influential in my life. My grandmother was also major influence. 

What do you pump in your i-pod or in your ride right now?  Who do you listen to?
I don't have a I pod, but if I had one, the great musical artists would be playing.  Just to name a few, 2Pac, Biggie, Jay-Z, Michael Jackson, Creed, Adele, Jadakiss, Anthony Hamilton, and more. I listen to all types of artists and genres, but the message in the music has to be meaningful or relevant to something in my life. As I evolve as an artist, I have become very critical, and listen to music differently now. There are plateaus that I want to reach and to get there I have to listen to those who have reach them.

How would you describe yourself as an artist?
As an artist, I am serious about my craft. I spend hours and hours making music because of the nature of my artist development.  Being independent, certain aspect I had to learn before the music could ever be produce. I don't have access to a engineer, producer, writers, promoters, manager.  With that being sad I have to fulfill all of those roles and be the artist also.  IKE ELLIS is a 480 degree artist.  I am very hands on with my career.  It's hard for me to trust individuals due to the cut throat industry.  Also my money is limited which forces me to execute functions that some would otherwise pay for.  Until the money is made, I will have to be this way as an artist.  Besides the music though, I am business minded individual who try to make things happen.  I have my own media company.  I have promoted events major and small.  I have 9 credits hours left before I have a master degree. The artist of IKE ELLIS is more than a rapper is the basic description. I have work hard all my life which is an advantage. I am a Leo, leader, my birth date is AUG 10. Very confident, but try to be humble so I don't step on other's toes.

Who have you worked with?
I have opened for the legendary Slick rick and Dougie fresh, Travis porter, Jadakiss. I have done songs with countless local artists in the North Carolina region.  I work with my team, 100 Grand Ent and network with others.

Who would you like to work with in the future?
I would like to work with Andre 3000, T I, Erica Badu, Dr. Dre, Adele, Eminem,

Tell us about your new single "Loving You", how would you describe it for those who haven't heard it?
I would describe "Loving You" as one of those universal songs that everybody can relate to. Without comparing the song, the track gave me the feeling of when I heard "Summertime" by Will Smith, or "Juicy" by Biggie for the first time while I was writing the joint.  Each person have experienced concepts with in the song that is expressed at some point in their life coming from the world I am from.

What inspired you to go with this single for the lead single to your forthcoming album Cornbread?
The song is universal.  It's people that don’t like certain things, but it's has one of those undeniable feels to it that perfect for a lead single.  Not to mention it's embodies the entire Cornbread direction of point that was trying to be reached thru out the album.

There are a lot of slideshows on YouTube to support the single, are you thinking of or working on doing an official music video for the single?
Yes thinking of going to New York, the birth place of hip hop to shoot the video.  I really want to catch the essence of the song, the love of the music, so preparing the props at this moment to make sure the video is Official for the world to experience the true feeling of what the song is worth.

What other singles are you planning on releasing?
The next single is called "Walk Round" catchy song and debating between the third single, I have another banger "Turn Da Lights Down Low" featuring Qua Qween that I think the ladies will love.

Could you break down the science behind the title of your album Cornbread?
The Cornbread is something that has been identified with "black folks" since the beginning of time. From the plantations, to the funerals, to the underground railroads, to the cook outs, to the soul food the cornbread was pertinent to the survival of an entire culture. The sustenance of the cornbread is fulfilling. The meal is not complete without the cornbread which is analogy for the rap game is not complete without the album.  It's from the soul of IKE ELLIS.  Everything I have ever known, felt, is touched on in this album. The spirits of every slave that was in the slave trade to every little black child that have gone thru some type of struggle can relate to the science of the cornbread.  Not to exclude any other children who may have encountered struggle.  All types of moments throughout the album introduce IKE ELLIS as the artist as well. The versatility, but consistent format to the Cornbread album creates a dynamic of possibilities of what an independent artist can accomplish.   

What can listeners expect to hear on this album?
Calculated rhyme patterns, energy, passion, dedication, content with messages, monstrous production.  As the old folks would say IKE ELLIS put his foot in this one.  The versatility without limitation to be defined in the industry standards is represented within this album. The Heart and soul is on the plate for the world to enjoy.  The album tone is serious and unexpected with a true element of surprise. The album represents materialization of mix tape artist into an artist to be acknowledged, and respected.

Are you working on any other projects right now?
Working on 4 mix tapes to be distributed, but the concentrations are on this album. 100,000 units is the goal to reach.

What inspired you to reach out to The Giant Blast for promotion and extra PR?
Mainly the prices for the services.  Also the personal informal relationship that was built thru the email help us make my choice to do business with The Giant blast. Some companies are out to the take advantage but that feeling was not received while interacting with the giant Blast.

What's next for Ike Ellis?
The expansion of my company "Mirror me Media" Building a bridge of other artist in the North Carolina region to actually create a buzz.  Making north Carolina known as an identified force in the music industry, but more so independently like “Rap a Lot” records for example.

We see that you do more than just rap.... what other talents do you have?
I started a media company which creates a path for me to explore other things in entertainment. I make flyers, cut commercials, make press kits for artist, devise marketing strategies, shoot, edit, and promote musical videos. I engineer my own tracks. I produced as well.  I compose the track titled "Black man in a Black car" which is on the Cornbread album.  I do photo shoots for models and media coverage for events.

What else would you like people to know about you?
I would like the people know that,  I am a real live person who loves to make music. I am not a liar, nor a thief.  I am building this empire from the ground up with a heart of gold.  I dedicated to the prosperity of the youth and my culture.  Even if I was not making music I still would be doing things like food drives and other charitable events.  It should not be people in this country starving, that's willing to work.  I appreciate all the support from the people from everywhere.  I have fans in Africa that want IKE ELLIS t shirts right now.

Is there anything else you would like to plug?  Any shout outs?
I want to shout out my team 100 Grand Ent, My mother for all the food she cooked me thru the making of this album, Tiffany Jones for the support and belief when everybody forgot about me.  I want to shout out UDC entertainment, the whole Pender county, and anybody and everybody who was instrumental in the career of IKE ELLIS.

Follow Ike Ellis on Twitter @IkeEllisWill

No comments: