Monday, June 7, 2010

The Blast Spotlight: Sarai Knowledge



Check out this Blast one on one interview with Blast feartued artist Sarai Knowledge. 

The Giant Blast: How long have you been performing?
Sarai Knowledge: As early as my childhood in New Orleans, so probably at least 5! My mom used to work in the French Quarter and I remember when I would go to work with her I would kick it with the street musicians. I also grew up in church, so I was always singing and performing. In school, I always shot for the leading role in all the plays, took drama classes, vocal lessons, and sang the national anthem at graduations.



The Giant Blast:  How would you describe yourself as an artist?
Sarai Knowledge:  Most artists probably always say "unique", but if we take a look around and count how many female Filipino hip hop artists there are...well, there's not many there standing! So I would definitely describe myself as versatile with a unique style, influential with maximum potential, inspiring and positively admiring, creative and inventively innovative!


The Giant Blast: What inspired you to get into the recording industry?
Sarai Knowledge:  For me music is a gift from God, and to show appreciation for these gifts endowed we need to utilize them to the fullest and inspire those around us. So I knew I needed to take my life long music passion to the next level and put out some serious records in order for my people around the world to hear what I have to say. There's so much struggle in the world today and music is one of the most influential tools, so focusing on bringing out the hopes of the people is what inspired me to seriously get into the recording industry.


The Giant Blast: Who have you worked with?
Sarai Knowledge: Well I must say I've been blessed this early in my career... Phil The Agony of Strong Arm Steady, Chace Infinite of Self Scientific, Afu-Ra of Life Force, Madlib, PF Cuttin, Grammy award winning producer Drew Correa, and I've shared the stage with the legendary KRS-One, Jamaica's dancehall king Delly Ranx, well known bay area artist such as Erk The Jerk, The Jacka, Evenodds and more.


The Giant Blast: Who would you like to work with in the future?
Sarai Knowledge: This would be a loooooong list and I would feel awful to leave anyone out, so let's just say those who have and are continuing to make an impact in the music industry.

The Giant Blast: Speaking of the future, where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Sarai Knowledge: Sarai Knowledge worldwide massive! Being a pillar of strength and pride to my Filipino people, the Asian community, Female emcees, singer/songwriters, and all independent artist who love what they do and strive hard to do what it takes to make it all come true. I see myself being a Grammy award winning singer and songwriter, top billboard chart stacking, platinum selling artist, and one of the most positive and influential women of our times.


The Giant Blast: Where do you see the music industry as a whole in the next few years?
Sarai Knowledge: It's a digital world these days, so the music is in the hands of younger generation. Since we are no longer at the sole mercy of the commercial music industry due to the easy access of independent music, we have the capabilities of choosing what we want to see, hear, and follow. So I see the music industry being more personable. Our favorite celebs will no longer feel like they are unattainable; they will feel more like our friends as we allow our fans to be more involved in our career. So I hope to see us more connected to each other and our fans supporting one another and I hope to see a huge rise in the independent music scene.


The Giant Blast: What does Sarai Knowledge get into outside of music?
Sarai Knowledge: I feel it's important to practice what you preach and walk the walk of you're gonna talk the talk, so I'm always trying to stay spiritually connected and keep my mind elevated. Outside of music, I stay inspired. Staying physically active in the sun, read books, watch documentaries, and attend seminars/workshops. I also stay active in the green movement, cannabis awareness, and conscious living as I find it important to nourish your mind, your temple, and your community. But... this is still all part of my music!


The Giant Blast: Who does Sarai Knowledge listen to?
Sarai Knowledge: I am influenced by so many genres but if I had to narrow it down... Nina Simone, George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic, Tu Pac, Biggie, Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang, Bille Holiday, Prince, Mos Def, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, Ray Charles, GangStarr, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Common, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Jr, Gong and all the Marleys, The Beatles, Cat Stevens, KRS One, Zion I, Nas, Blackalicious, Hieroglyphics, Michael Franti, The Fugees, Nneka, Erykah Badu, Indie Arie, Jewel, Alicia Keys, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, De La Soul, etc.


The Giant Blast: Is there anything else you would like to plug, any shout outs?
Sarai Knowledge: Our Divine Creator of course and my family for all the support. Big shout outs to my independent label, JUST BE Records! And the most influential person in the evolution my music, J RockA, one of the most gifted emcee/songwriters I know. Shout outs to Drew Correa for believing in me and for all your hard work. And Zack Crawford for all your skills and talents.




 
 

For more information e-mail us at
TheGiantBlast@aol.com
 

1 comment:

Ryzyn said...

Definitely one of the most positive and amazing influential artists I know! This interview confirms the sincerity of the messages conveyed in her inspirational music. Thanks and much love!